Welcome to the December 17, 2007 edition of the Festival of Stocks. The Festival of Stocks is a blog carnival dedicated to highlighting bloggers best posts on stock market related topics. Fat Pitch Financials is the birth place of the Festival of Stocks, and I am proud to be hosting this 67th edition of this weekly roundup.
This week’s Festival of Stocks entries are listed in the order received. Given that we are just coming off a long holiday weekend, I’ve keep my editorial remarks to a minimum so you can quickly scan through the submissions.
This Week’s Submissions
- Valuing Western Sizzlin posted at Fat Pitch Financials. Western Sizzlin is no mere restaurant franchise. This company is run by Sardar Biglari who is transforming the business into an efficient capital allocation machine. I take apart the company’s financials and estimate that its intrinsic value is about $28 per share. Read how I do it.
Stocks: WSZL, ITEX, SNS
- This Year’s Christmas Gift: FBR Group post at Value Investing News Exclusives. Jeffrey Annello takes apart Friedman, Billings, Ramsey Group to discover its value.
Stocks: FBR, FBCM
- First Attempt at Technical Analysis: EMC Corp posted at My Adventures into The Street. A technical perspective on EMC Corp (EMC).
- The Energy of Fractals posted at Top Dog Trading. A video displaying the power of using fractals to really see what a stock is about to do in the future. [I remember those cool fractal screen savers. Do you? I could kill minutes gazing at those colors.]
- Anatomy Of A Successful Day Trade posted at Timothy Sykes. A look at a day trade short by this young trader.
- Gift Ideas for Stock Market Junkies posted at The Investor’s Journal. Four gift ideas for traders.
- Dec 10 Speculative Stock Selection posted at KRBY Stock Investment Ideas. Mindray Medical International LTD was the speculative pick from this blog last week. So are it hasn’t played out.
- 52 Ways To Profit From The Falling US Dollar posted at The Best Stock Trading in the World. A collection of links to articles on how to profit from a fall dollar. The real question is whether we expect the dollar to continue falling.
- Why Most Investors Underperform The Market – Stock Investing Resource posted at Bullreturns.com. Reasons why the average investor significantly underperforms market funds.
- Dividend Stock Wednesday: iShares Dow Jones Select Dividend Index (DVY) posted at The Dividend Guy Blog. A close examination of this dividend focused ETF.
- Trading Bases posted at A Trade A Day. Part 1 of a 5 part series on the patterns this blogger trades. Oh, pretty charts.
- CPI, Stocks, and You posted at My Adventures into The Street. How the rise in CPI really puts the FOMC between a rock and a hard place.
- What makes inflation tough to stop? Fear and greed posted at Pivotal Investing. The latest U.S. economic data shows we may get a painful refresher course on why the “i-word” is a big deal – and soon.
- Cliche crunch posted at Sox First. Supbrime, credit crunch, secutirization…the use of clichés to describe the market is all designed to stop investors from thinking.
- Men: Next to Women, the Most Recession-Proof Shoppers posted at College Analysts. A look at Jos. A. Bank’s earnings, and what it says about the potential bargain that is Men’s Wearhouse (MW).
Stocks: JOSB, MW, WMT, ARO, AEO
- 12/10/07 Stock Purchase Update – New Portfolio High posted at My Wealth Builder. Performance update for a tiny little four stock portfolio.
Stocks: POT, PCU, CNH, BHP
- Jacks Stock Trade Yields $201,300 in One Hour posted at Stock Trading To Go. This post looks at a hedge fund traders quick of Goldman Sachs.
- Common Mutual Fund Investing Mistakes posted at Bullreturns.com. Four common mistakes investors make when investing in mutual funds.
- Gannon to Barron’s: Berkshire Fairly Valued…As a Buffettless Empire! posted at Gannon On Investing. Geoff Gannon responds to Barron’s “Sell Buffett” cover story on Berkshire Hathaway.
Stocks: BRK.A, BRK.B
That concludes this edition of the Festival of Stocks. I want to thank everybody for contributing such great submissions this week.
Submit your blog article to the next edition of Festival of Stocks using our submission form. It looks like I’ll also be hosting next week’s Festival of Stocks here at Fat Pitch Financials unless someone touched by the holiday season volunteers to lend me a hand. Please consider volunteering to host a future edition of the Festival of Stocks. Contact me if you are interested. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our Festival of Stocks index page.