In anticipation of this year’s Berkshire Hathaway (BRKa) annual meeting, I’m starting my 2009 annual meeting guide early this year. I’ve been getting quite a few questions already about this year’s meeting, so hopefully this guide will help answer some of those questions.
- Background Reading
- 2009 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting Weekend Facebook Event page
- Value Investing News Calendar – May 2009
- Borsheims cocktail receiption for shareholders on May 1, 2009 from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Door open at the Qwest Center on May 2, 2009 at 7:00 AM.
- The Berkshire movie will be shown at 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM.
- The question-and-answer session will start 9:30 AM and run until 3:00 PM.
- The annual meeting will start at 3:15 PM.
- Receiption for shareholders from outside of North America at 4:00 PM.
- Main Borsheims gala on May 3, 2009 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Gorat’s will be reserved for shareholders from 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM on May 3, 2009 (Requires reservation, call 402-551-3733 on April 1st).
There are several changes to how this year’s meeting questions will be handled. First, several journalists have been selected to participate in the question-and-answer period with questions that shareholders have submitted by email. These journalists include the following: Fortune’s Carol Loomis, CNBC’s Becky Quick, and New York Time’s Andrew Ross Sorkin. Just click on the previous links to send your questions to those journalists. In your email, let the journalist know if you would like your name mentioned if your question is selected.
Second, there is no need to rush the doors this year when they open at 7:00 AM in order to get in line for the mics. There will be a drawing at 8:15 at each microphone for those shareholders hoping to ask questions themselves. Questions will alternate between those asked by the journalists and those from the winning shareholders. Hopefully, this will improve the quality of questions this year and result in more questions directly related to Berkshire Hathaway.
If you are looking for question ideas, Marcelo P. Lima is organizing questions for this year’s Berkshire Hathaway meeting at his website. His goal is to create a list of great, unanswered questions.
Jeff Matthews is also asking his readers to provide him with great questions regarding Berkshire Hathaway. Readers who submit the Top Ten vote-getters as of the New York Stock Exchange close on April 15, 2009, will receive an autographed copy of Pilgrimage to Warren Buffett’s Omaha. Updated: Here are the Top 10 Questions for Warren Buffett.
Live Blogging from Annual Meeting in Omaha
- Liz Claman, Fox Business anchor
“up now, it’s 4am CT, not as freezing as last year. Buffett has a staged cowboy shootout at Qwest to kick off day”
- Alex Crippen, CNBC.com
“Buffett: Not every CEO wants a “rational” compensation system because irrational systems often pay better”
- Joe Ponzio – FWallStreet
“Buffett: Wells Fargo under $9 again, I’d put my entire net worth in it.”
- Andrewr Sorkin – DealBook
“Buffett says “I was dead wrong” about Gen Re when he bought it. Commends management for fixing it.”
- Jason McGowan
“Warren suugests reading the book “the Great Crash”
- Matthew Dettinger
“You can bet on inflation & I guarentee the dollar will buy less in 5 yrs -Buffett”
- David Spitz
“sue decker and billg are sitting within whisper distance”
- David Burn
“Over time people will live better and better in this country. Our system works.” – Warren Buffet”
“At goreshims cocktail party. Trying to find the bar.”
- #Berkshire – Follow all the #Berkshire tweets!
- Berkshire’s Munger Favors ‘100% Ban’ on Credit Swaps – Bloomberg
- Buffett dispenses gloom at Berkshire fest – Reuters
- Top 5 Quotes From Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting – The Manual of Ideas
Berkshire Hathaway 2009 Annual Meeting Notes
- From the AGM – The Motley Fool Berkshire Hathaway Board
- NEW meeting notes – The Motley Fool Berkshire Hathaway Board
- Berkshire Hathaway 2009 Meeting Notes – ValueHuntr
- NEW 2009’s Woodstock for Capitalists: Recap – buffettologist.com
Please let me know of any other resources to add to this list. I suggest you bookmark this page and check back often. I will be updating this page as new information becomes available.